Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Walking Miracles: I Know a Guy

I once knew a guy that was a walking miracle.

As a child and a youth in SoCal., he worked to help his family survive.

As a young adult, he was an enlisted man, though thankfully without the bullet holes to prove it.

As a man he was married, had children. Relationships that never were supposed to be painful were poison.

He survived his first marriage, though not without brokenness.

As a grown man, he married again, now to a woman who herself knows pain and struggle deeply and intimately.

As he was pushing towards retirement age, he was family--not by blood but by love.

As an elder, he was a leader and a mentor, a father and a grandfather and a great-grandfather, a faithful husband and a friend.

As an old man, he was sick and diagnosed. Cancer of more than one kind; illness that would not leave him be.

As a dying man, he was prayerful and loving. He was hopeful and positive.

And as far as I'm aware, the last words he spoke were words of love for his wife. That is a miracle.

This is the first time I've written down a eulogy for my grandfather, my Papa. He walked through the Pearly Gates 282 days ago today. I'm sure he was smiling, teasing St. Peter and joking with the saints that have gone before as we walked into Heaven.

Yes, Death overtook his life. But the last thing he ever said to me was this: "I'll see you at Easter. I love you." I took that to mean Easter Sunday 2011. He meant it at that, but as much more too. Easter isn't just a day every calendar year for Christians. It is a hope and a promise of Life. Death ended Papa's life, but can never destroy his Life. That is the promise of Christ Jesus.

I once heard miracles described as little bits of Heaven breaking into the world. Faithful prayer doesn't always lead to the miracles we want or expect. But we can see snippets and glimpses of the Kingdom of God in the miracles that do happen. I'm choosing to see a life well lived and a Life worth living as miraculous.

You want a walking miracle? Let me tell you about my Papa. He was a walking miracle his whole life through. And that's a fact.

5 comments:

  1. This is soooo beautiful, Kendall. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just popping over here from your mom's blog - she's a good bloggy friend of mine. I couldn't help but comment, what a beautiful tribute to someone that was clearly very special and much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also visiting from T@tT and was intrigued as to what you were sharing today...and am now speechless. How proud your Papa must have been to have you as his grandson. Thank you for sharing this with the world - you've just opened mine up a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible. I seem to have forgotten how important your papa was to me until I read things like this. I am reminded of how special he was to you, you to him, and you both to me! Your writing is beautiful, especially when you write out of love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kendall! “Hope, Promise, Fact” tribute of 1/10/2012 is a beautiful expression of a relationship that loved deeply. The memories made over 28 years of marriage will always be cherished in my heart. Such an example of loving God, family, friends, and life is rare. Our family is Blessed with such a miracle man. Kendall, you have a gift of putting your feelings into meaningful words that is truly amazing. The quality of “Papa” show through on your own personal commitment to God, family, and friends. I am blessed, as your grandma, to have you as a grandson. Love you Dearly, Grandma ~ xoxo

    ReplyDelete